The EASE programme was launched in July 2012 to enhance the safety and comfort of seniors living in HDB flats. Under EASE, home owners can choose a range of elderly-friendly fittings to help elderly family members move around in their flats with ease. These fittings include slip-resistant treatment to the floor tiles of one existing bathroom/toilet, and grab bars and ramps (where technically feasible). In response to feedback from grassroots leaders and residents, HDB has reviewed the age criterion for direct application and coverage of the improvement items.
2From 1 Aug 2014, HDB will be expanding the EASE programme by:-
- Lowering the Age Criterion for EASE (Direct Application): Singapore Citizen households with an elderly family member who is 65 years old and above (lowered from 70 years old), or aged between 60 and 64 years old (lowered from between 65 and 69 years old) and requires assistance for at least one of the Activities of Daily Living (ADL)1, will be eligible for EASE (Direct Application);
- Extending the Improvement Items to the Second Toilet: For households with two toilets, the provision of slip-resistant treatment to floor tiles and grab bars will be offered to the second toilet.
3About 100,000 more households with elderly will now stand to benefit from EASE.
4Similar to other upgrading programmes, EASE is highly subsidised by the Government, with the residents paying a small portion of the cost. If residents opt for the full expanded scope of improvement works, the total cost of the EASE package would be $2,500 per flat (an increase from the previous $2,000). The Government will continue to provide a subsidy of up to 95% of the cost, and Singapore Citizen households only need to pay between $125 and $312.50, depending on their flat type:
* Amount is subject to prevailing GST. It is payable in cash for EASE (Direct Application).
|Cost of enhanced EASE package per flat|
$ 2,187.50 (87.5%)
|SC Household Pays*|
5Residents will continue to have the flexibility to choose any combination of the types of improvements that best meets their needs, and pay only for the selected improvement items.
6The expanded EASE programme will be available to residents through the following ways:-
(i) Home Improvement Programme (HIP) with EASE
- For all future HIP projects polled from 1 Aug 2014;
- For ongoing HIP projects that have not completed works as of 1 Aug 2014;
- For completed HIP projects where installation works have been completed prior to 1 Aug 2014, the flat owners can apply for the extension of the improvement items to the second toilet through EASE (Direct Application), if they meet the revised age criterion.
(ii) Direct Application for EASE
- Those who have applied for EASE (Direct Application) and installation works have not been carried out as of 1 Aug 2014, will be eligible for the package under the expanded EASE programme;
- For cases where installation works had already been completed prior to 1 Aug 2014, the flat owners can apply for the extension of the improvement items to the second toilet.
Residents may apply for additional improvement items through EASE (Direct Application) via e-Services on the HDB InfoWEB at http://www.hdb.gov.sg
from 1 Aug 2014. Alternatively, residents may download an application form on the HDB InfoWEB at www.hdb.gov.sg/EASE-Application
, or obtain an application form at any of the HDB Branches. After filling in the application form, they may submit it at the HDB Branch managing their estate or mail it to the HDB Branch. For residents with ongoing HIP with EASE, HDB will inform them separately on how they can apply for the additional improvement items.
8For more information on the programme, the public may also visit the HDB InfoWEB or call EASE toll-free hotline at 1800-9332990 from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm on weekdays (excluding Public Holidays).
1 ‘Activities of Daily Living (ADL)’ is a term used in healthcare to refer to daily self-care activities within an individual's place of residence. These activities include washing/bathing, dressing, feeding, toileting, mobility and transferring.